How long does it take to get a pistol license?
After joining the club and completing the initial Pistol Safe Handling training, your application for a Probationary Pistol Licence (PPL) will take about 6 to 8 weeks. You will then need to complete the the Shooting Academy Club 12 week pistol training program while under close supervision of Range Officers and the remainder of the first 6 months of your PPL under general supervision. A PPL is valid for 12 months after which time a Category H (Pistol Target Shooting) licence can be applied for.

Can anyone become a club member and licensed shooter?
Minor Members (Aged 12 to 17 yrs old)

Adult Members (Aged 18 and older)

All must pass a Police criminal background check and be a NSW resident.

Can I come along to try shooting without a license?
Auburn Shooting Academy hosts Try-Shoot days for un-licensed people, aged 12 and older, to give the sport of target shooting a go. Please fill out an email enquiry for more information.

What do I need to join the Shooting Academy Club?
You will need a government issued photo identification, two references from adults who have known you 2 years or more and be able to pass a Police criminal background check. You will also need to be a member of the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia (SSAA).

How much does a Pistol License Cost?
Your Probationary Pistol Licence (PPL) will cost $100 (for 12 months), and your Category H Pistol Licence will cost $100 for 2 years or $200 for 5 years. These fees are in addition to your club and shooting association membership fees.

When I have a license, can I bring an unlicensed friend shooting?
Un-licensed people can try pistol target shooting through the Try-Shoot program under the direct supervision of a Range Officer. Please fill out an email enquiry for more information.

Can I shoot at the Shooting Academy at any time?
After you have completed 6 months of your PPL, and have completed your induction and safety training, you can shoot any time during opening hours, provided the range is not pre-booked for training or competition.

Do I have to attend every Thursday night in the first 12 weeks?
No, but it is in your best interest to complete your 12 week induction and safety training as soon as possible. You must complete the club’s 12 week training course before your PPL is 6 months old. You can only do this on Thursday nights under the supervision of a club Range Officer.

What are the attendance or competition requirements to comply with the conditions of a Pistol license?
Licensed pistol shooters must compete in at least 6 club competitions each year, and a further 4 club shoots for each different type of pistol they own.

What’s involved in buying my first pistol?
After you have your Probationary Pistol Licence (PPL) for 6 months, and have completed the club’s induction and safety training course, you can apply for a Permit to Acquire (to buy your first pistol). You must have your Category H safe inspected by the local Police who will provide a letter stating that it complies with regulations. This together with the Permit to Acquire is forwarded to the Firearms Registry.

Can I buy a gun on the Internet?
No. Firearms can ONLY be legally bought and sold through licenced firearms dealers, and only to licenced shooters who have a Permit to Acquire.

Do I need to purchase my own pistol?
No. Club pistols are available free of charge to Shooting Academy Club members under training and during the first 6 months of a PPL.

Can I store a pistol at the range?
Yes. Safe-storage compliant gun safes are available at the range for a bi-annual fee.

Can I shoot at other Pistol clubs or ranges?
Yes. After you have your Probationary Pistol Licence (PPL) for 6 months, with the permission of the other Club, you can participate in shooting events at other approved pistol ranges. Range fees and competition entry fees for other Club venues are not included in your Shooting Academy Club membership. Additional training and accreditation may be required for participation in external shooting competitions.

Where can I get more information?
More information is available on the NSW Firearms Registry.

Comments are closed.